Free time can be a blessing or nuisance, depending on how much you have it and what you do with it. A few days of free time, every now and then, is not only healthy but imperative as well. You get to set yourself free from the daily hectic life and relax, run pending errands, catch-up on movies and TV shows, travel to a new city or country, and spend quality time with family and friends. So as long as it lasts for a few days, or even a couple of weeks, it is a blessing. But what to do with months of time on hand? This is the question that many of us are bothered by at some point in life, and so was I.
Instead of continuously lamenting over my situation or staying in bed for most of the day, I thought maybe this is in fact a blessing for me after years of hard work, sleepless nights, aching body, and tired mind. So I started to think of ways to make productive use of the time on hand, to turn what would have otherwise easily been a nuisance into a blessing. The questions I asked myself were: what are the things I like to do or would like to do, and what can I do to add value to myself? Below are my top picks for productive things, most of which I have done and found entertaining as well, that will also help you in making the most out of your lasting free time:
- Master your talent
- The talent you once upon a time discovered but never had time to master, now is your chance to do so. Read about it, learn from the experts, and practice it daily. Public speaking, sewing, baking, photography….whatever it is become an expert, and you might even be able to make a living out of it.
- Learn new skills
- One of the best self-investments is to spend time in expanding your array of skills. List down the skills that will help you grow and spend time working on them. The better you become and the better you are able to perform various tasks, the easier life will be for you on both personal and professional fronts.
- Register for online courses
- They are not only a great way of adding an extra glimmer onto your resume, but also perfect for expanding your knowledge base. Your talents and skills may set you apart, but your knowledge of multiple subjects is what will give you comprehensive perspective for successfully solving problems and creating opportunities.
- Watch documentaries
- If you do not like to read or restrict your knowledge expansion to the framework of a course, you can instead grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy your time while learning through documentaries. Decide on the number of hours you can daily dedicate to watching documentaries and make sure to learn something new everyday.
- Signup for volunteer activities
- They offer three-in-one benefit. You gain personal satisfaction by helping others, experience life in a new setting, and expand your social circle by connecting with new people. So list down the potential volunteer activities you would be interested in and look them up.
- Join social groups
- Whether in the virtual world or real life, social groups keep you productively busy and socially connected at the same time. What type of group would interest you: fitness, reading, cooking, or a different type? Search online or ask around in your community, and join the one that best fits your interests.
- Plan your life
It is true that life will never be exactly as you plan, but planning will give you a clear direction towards which to steer the gears next. So reflect on the life lived so far, think what you want to do next personally and professionally, write down the things you need to do to achieve new goals, and get into action.
If you are someone with months of time on hand, I hope you enjoyed reading this. Make sure to spend your free time in the most productive manner by improving yourself in all the possible ways you can, and preparing yourself for the opportunities soon to land your way. You may never get this time again, and you definitely do not want to look back later in life and regret thinking if only you had done something different with this time. So which activity are you going to start with to make productive use of your free time? Let me know in the comments below.